When I was in Atlanta, Georgia, I met a stranger who offered up her home to me when my Airbnb situation did not work out because I felt unsafe in my living situation and the neighborhood I was in.
My peer had this cool passion project/hobby where she asked random strangers to think about the things that made them happy. Something that she also did – that I found to be very sweet and kind – was buy random people meals, especially those who were homeless.
A couple of weeks ago, I was featured as a Happy Stranger on the project’s Instagram account @happystrangers. Check it out below!
This is Snow White. (Yes… Her real name. How awesome is that?!) She and I have similar projects, but instead of asking people what makes them happy, she asks them another question… “If you could tell your younger self a lesson you have learned in life… what would it be?” She recently spent 4 months traveling the country by herself, going to around 25 states to gain her own personal growth and understanding of the people who reside in America. I met her when she was here in Georgia, and was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time with her. She’s a case of a happy stranger turned into happy friend.
- Embracing all of her emotions – the good, the bad, the confusing, etc. She says the more she understands her feelings, the more she understands herself.
- Learning constantly. Learning about herself, about others, and about how everything around her works… whether it be the things about the world, life, business, her community, etc.
- Genuinely connecting with other humans, without strings being attached.
- Being interested in others so that she can know them and who they really are.
- Spreading Kindness, and being loving.
- Joking around and making fun of her not so serious friends.
- Eating food made by her parents (especially her mom’s)
- Live music.
- Being that be best she can be.
- Being creative in ways that are not necessarily “artsy” but both sweet and thoughtful.
- Hearing stories of people with courage who are pursuing their dreams or those who are fighting through difficult, trying times.
- Happy people.
- Smiling. (When she isn’t too tired.)